[XeTeX] Ugly output with ngerman when using quotation marks

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Feb 6 22:25:56 CET 2005

On 5 Feb 2005, at 5:32 pm, dschuli at gmx.net wrote:

> Hello fellows,
> I use babels ngerman package with xelatex. When quotation marks occur
> in the document characters near those quotation marks are lost or
> don't display correctly. Please refer to the attachment for sample
> files. I use fontspec and utf8accents.sty.
> The problem does not occur with \usepackage[french]{babel}.
> I'm sure you can help me and I thank you deeply for that.
> With kind regards,
>
> Julius

I know very little about LaTeX, and even less about the Babel system,
but here's my guess: I suspect that the ngerman option is defining the
quotation marks in a way that is incompatible with the Unicode font
system XeTeX uses. It presumably maps the quotes in your source to the
appropriate characters in various legacy TeX font encodings, but
perhaps utf8accents.sty (which redefines many such LaTeX control
sequences for accents and other special characters) doesn't handle
these particular ones.

Maybe Ross (who wrote utf8accents) or one of the other LaTeX experts
here can throw some light on this?