[XeTeX] Right-indents with Arabic in xelatex

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 5 16:33:18 CET 2005

Hi,

I am using xelatex to typeset Arabic using Musa Furber's template as a
starting point:

http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2004-July/000533.html

However, the document I am working on requires hanging indents from the
right margin. Mr. Furber's template explicitly disables indents since
latex will generate them on the left margin.

I have tried to find a way to insert right indents as a class of
objects distinct from left-indents, or to switch the whole direction of
text, as in Klaus Legally's arabtex. I have not found an obvious way to
do either.

However, I am curious about whether the segment of the arabtex code
which specified RtL might be modified so that it could be used within
xelatex. As far as I can tell, the relevant section of is "Arabic
Environment," which is about mid-way through arabtex.sty:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/TeX/languages/arabtex/texinput/
arabtex.sty

Unfortunately, I am not wise in the ways of latex package programming,
nor is my copy of the "Latex Companion" much help with interpreting the
code.

As such, could some one point me to a site or document which explains
the various commands used in this section?

Thanks,

Fred Hoyt

"Hell is other people at breakfast." - Sartre

Frederick M. Hoyt
Linguistics Department
University of Texas at Austin
www.livejournal.com/users/frederickhoyt