[XeTeX] Carbon Emacs for TeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Dec 30 15:46:21 CET 2005

Hello!

I am somehow relaxing from writing what could become a TUGboat article
on the MacTeX install package and was playing a bit with "GNU Emacs
22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0)\n of 2005-12-21 on
rodrigues.inf.ed.ac.uk - Aquamacs Distribution 0.9.8" -- aka Aquamacs
Emacs 0.9.8.

I think it's ripe to be used as a TeX and XɘTeX editor (although there
is no automatic XɘTeX/XɘLaTeX item in AUCTeX Command menu yet), even
using the Unicode math characters. I checked its capability to
correctly display the glyphs with utf8.txt from the Kermit
distribution, up to the Control Pictures at U+2400, and from the end at
U+FFFF backwards. It looked much better than in any other Carbon Emacs
(it even looked better than in the HELLO buffer -- C-h H). It took much
time to load missing fonts when crossing the borders between scripts,
but I think once the used ones are loaded it can be fast.

No Emacs accepts input from Character Palette, but setting the variable
read-quoted-char-radix to 16 (its usually set to 8 for octal input) you
can input any character as C-q <Unicode position, taken from Character
Palette> RET, if you have no other input method.

Aquamacs Emacs behaves in its ability to display glyphs from outside
the proprietary Mac encodings much better then Emacs.app, which is GNU
Emacs 23 (Unicode Emacs) with a NeXTSTEP/GNUstep/OPENSTEP shell around
it, kind of an 'Aqua Emacs/Emacs on Aqua.' The latter cannot work with
preview-latex, both are still a bit handicapped when it comes to
printing text or graphics buffers. Aquamacs Emacs has some strange
customs, opening for every buffer a new frame (tool window), setting
the *scratch* buffer's mode from Lisp to text (good for writing text,
bad when there are no means to prevent this nonsense, an additional
buffer *scratch text* would be more appropriate), wanting to save the
*Message* buffer when quitting for whatever reason, and loading
recursively all Elisp files it finds at too many different places in
the file system). I hope its version 1.0 comes with a button to switch
between 'aquamatic' and sane Emacs behaviour ... it has so many special
settings, most documented in a Changes document, a PDF manual, and in
Apple Help (and in Emacs Wiki), that *some* reading is necessary. Or
two blocks of recommended Elisp code for .emacs, to use either Aquamacs
or GNU features.

http://aquamacs.org/
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AquamacsEmacs/
(http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/)

--
Greetings

   Pete

  Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches