[XeTeX] support for variation & multiple master fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Dec 22 15:05:28 CET 2005

On Thursday, December 22, 2005, at 08:51 AM, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> I don't think that's true either. Tiger hasn't seen any serious update
> to AAT, instead we got improved OT support. There are almost no AAT
> fonts available, so I highly doubt Apple will continue on this track.

I pretty distinctly remember an Apple representative saying somewhere
that all future fonts bundled with / developed for Mac OS X would be
OpenType.

However, I wonder how long Apple will maintain and continue to provide
Apple Chancery, Zapfino, Skia and Hoefler Text as AAT .dfonts --- given
the hue and cry over changing the metrics for Zapfino between 10.1 and
10.2, I'd like to think they'd see at least an on-going commitment to
at least Q&A and maintenance for backwards compatibility as a needful
customer support requirement and so be committed to this for the
long-term.

William
(who actually has an AAT font in development, a roman font with an
optical and a stylistic (serif to sans) axis, and plans for two others,
one with a stylistic axis such as has not been done before, another a
revival of an interesting script font from the '50s or so which doesn't
have a contemprary analogue)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.