[XeTeX] support for variation & multiple master fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Dec 21 19:06:07 CET 2005

On Wednesday, December 21, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> If you re-read the original message, you'll see that if I go ahead and
> make the currently-planned changes, there will still be variation font
> support on Tiger. It just won't work on earlier OS releases any more.
> Does that matter?

OH!

Well, then freeze an old version for people who haven't upgraded (I'm
back on Jaguar here at my new job --- waiting on my new Mac to arrive)
and onward HO!

Previously JK had said:

> But as far as I understand it, newer OpenType versions like Minion Pro
> are no longer MM; instead, you get a range of separate instances.
> (Right? I don't have a current Adobe collection to check this stuff!)

Correct. As I alluded to in my previous e-mail, one has specific
instances provided as separate font files (so if one needs finer
gradation than Caption, Display, Poster, Subhead, Text you're out of
luck. It makes for a really cluttered font list, and I really miss MMs
and wish for a better interface.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.