[XeTeX] BiBdesk / BiBTeX

musa furber musaf at runbox.com
Sun Dec 18 21:17:39 CET 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 10:08 PM, Martin Henning wrote:

> Holà,
>
> just downloaded BiBDesk for my next paper... Unfortunately it will
> be a mixture of Russian, German and English, so it will have to be
> unicode :) Therefore as usual: XeTeX. Anyone here using this setup?
> Does the preview feature work for you? It seems to me, that i can't
> get the paths right :/ Also i got errors because of the automatic
> conversion of accents into TeX - disabled it, thinking unicode/
> XeTeX will handle it anyway - my assumption right? I would greatly
> appreciate some hints on using BiBTeX/Desk, since i never did it
> before - not even with non-Unicode :)
> I also searched vor some russian document classes, like KOMA for
> german - though couldn't find any. I'm sure Russia has some special
> conventions for university papers and scientific stuff in general,
> too - does anyone know? How about the BiBTeX style? My Professor is
> a big MS Office fan and doesn't know anything about TeX... Last
> week i introduced him to eagle3d and POVray stuff and he was very
> impressed... very weird. In some respects you find leading
> technology in Russia, in other respects they work like 1990...
> errrm... Sorry for the off-topic-excurs into russian society :)

Concerning XeTeX and BibDesk:

You need to open Preferences, select the tab for Preview settings,
and modify your TeX preview template. Mine reads as follows:

%%% begin previewtemplate.tex

\documentclass[letterpaper]{article}

%%% The next four lines are for XeTeX; we use Lucida Grande for the
default (Roman) font, and Gill Sans for
%%% the sans-serif font.  Lucida Grande is a good choice if you need
a wide variety of characters.

\usepackage{fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont{Lucida Grande}
\setsansfont[Scale=0.94]{Gill Sans}

%%% The remainder of the file is standard BibDesk stuff, and should
be left alone
\pagestyle{empty}
\textwidth = 6.5in
\voffset = -105pt
\hoffset = -120pt
\usepackage{natbib}
%\usepackage{harvard}
\renewcommand{\refname}{}

\begin{document}
\nocite{*}
\bibliography{<<File>>}
\bibliographystyle{<<Style>>}
\end{document}

%%% end

Make sure you set BibDesk to use xelatex for generating the previews,
and that you are using UTF8.

As far as I recall, this is all I had to do.

I have CC'd Adam R. Mexwell; he may have more to add.

> Greetings from moscow,

Salutations from Cairo,
Musa