[XeTeX] fontspec in TUGboat

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Dec 18 14:38:15 CET 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 6:46 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I don't have an exact incantation handy, but you should be able to
> do it with \reflectbox. This works provided you don't need the name
> in slanted/italic type; if you need that, then try a rotated E
> instead, though how good this looks is somewhat typeface-dependent.
> Happily, in Computer Modern, the top and bottom of the E are
> similar enough that you can get away with it.

Howdy,

Thanks. Looked up the \reflectbox command in ``The Graphics
Companion'' and I'm using it succesfully. Interestingly, I had to use
a different value for the \lower to get the reflected E's baseline to
line up with the lowered E in TeX (.4ex vs .5ex):

\def\XeTeX{\leavevmode
   \setbox0=\hbox{X\lower.4ex\hbox{\kern-.13em\reflectbox{E}}%
   \kern-.1667em\TeX}\dp0=0pt\ht0=0pt\box0 }

(Original taken from the fontspect demo by Bob Kerstetter). I also
have a different \kern betweeen the initial X and the reflected E. I
can understand the latter by a possible difference in the position of
the reflection axis but I don't understand the former.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)