[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Mon Dec 12 06:20:29 CET 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> What do you use?

I know you addressed this to Jonathan, but to avoid viruses, spyware,
etc. on all workstations I usually run as a non-privileged user and
seldom as an admin. I use my admin accounts mostly for software
installation and system maintenance, plus when my kids play HalfLife
(NoLife?) CounterStrike online. In this way if I do get something, it
cannot do much damage.  Also, I am careful where I go on the Internet
and I never open attachments without first examining the file type.
And I run mostly closed firewalls on my computers and on my network.
One major virus stopper is the email server I use for the email
account on my PC. It runs AV software by an outfit from Russia
(Kaspersky Lab, I think) and it stops all of the viruses before they
reach my desktops. Two years ago the email server even stopped 'My
Doom' before it was officially recognized as a virus, but I think it
was actually the email server's AntiSpam software that stopped 'My
Doom'. Of course, one of the best AV protections is using Mac OS X. I
am convinced it's just more secure by design. I don't buy the MS
party line about the Mac having all of the security issues of Windows
if OS X was as popular as Windows. Doesn't the Mac have 4% of the
hardware market and 15% of the software market? But we have 0% of the
virus market. Why not 15%?  By being careful and running non-
privileged I have not had a virus for years and have not used AV
software for two or three years. I'm just careful where I work and
play online.