[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Dec 12 04:00:10 CET 2005

On 07/12/2005, at 21:58 , Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 7 Dec 2005, at 1:40 am, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to think why I wanted \ifXeTeXfontexists. And off the
>> top of my head I really have no clue. Do you think it's a good idea?
>
> Your other option is actually doing a \font\x="...." (with the
> interaction set to \batchmode, to avoid error messages) and then
> testing whether the resulting font selector is associated with
> nullfont. But I suppose a built-in \ifXeTeXfontexists test might be
> more efficient. I'll think about it. If you can remember why you
> wanted it, let me know what sort of scenario is involved.

Yeah, I remember your batchmode hack, and didn't like it very much
because I couldn't get it working! (Obviously user error, though,
since it clearly works for you.)

I remember what I was going to use it for -- trying to "randomly"
query extra fonts in a family to add to the LaTeX NFSS tables. E.g.,
when \fontspec-ing Adobe Garamond Pro, it could ping "Adobe Garamond
Pro Semibold" (along with a bunch of others) and realise "ah-ha!" and
add that to the family under the "sb" series.

If there were a cleverer way of doing this (shouldn't families of
fonts reference each other, or something, like they do for their
optical sizing tables?), then that would be a much more elegant way
of doing things.

Will