[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Dec 7 12:16:59 CET 2005

Le 7 déc. 05 à 11:41, Will Robertson a écrit :

> Call me old-fashioned or (anti-paranoid?), but I don't really see
> the point of anti-virus software on a Mac. I feel that my 867 MHz
> Powerbook is sluggish enough already to have every email and file
> background-checked as it enters my computer. Any virus that is
> released I'll hear about in the same time frame that anti-virus
> software is updated to catch it.

That's mostly, in my case, for scanning messages with suspicious-
looking attachments before passing them on to Windows users.
Unfortunately, even my sister is running Windows XP ;-)

That said, I had first activated the automatic surveillance (called
Sentry in ClamXav) of email messages and specific directories,
limiting it to Inbox and Junk mailboxes. For example, I had selected
the following Watched Folders (being on Tiger):

~/Desktop (my download directory)
~/Library/Mail Downloads/
~/Library/Mail/IMAP-[IMAP address]/INBOX.imapmbox/Messages
~/Library/Mail/Mac-[.Mac address]/INBOX.imapmbox/Messages
~/Library/Mail/POP-[POP address]/INBOX.mbox/Messages
~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Junk ([IMAP account]).mbox/Messages
~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Junk ([.Mac account]).mbox/Messages
~/Library/Mail/POP-[POP address]/Junk.mbox/Messages/

However, that made mail checking significantly slower, and sometimes
messed up mailbox index updating: I find mailbox indexing buggy and
slow enough in Tiger's Mail.app, without adding this additional
burden to the process.

For example, even without ClamXav, it usually happens (in Mail.app)
that the number of unread messages in rather populated mailboxes (my
OS X TeX mailbox includes about 27500 messages, and my Junk mailbox
about 9700 messages) isn't properly updated after browsing through
the unread messages one by one, and I have to close then re-open
these mailboxes for the messages to be properly tagged as read. Once
I attempted to use Mailbox > Rebuild, and this was a disaster:
several messages disappeared for no reason and couldn't be found
anywhere to retrieve them from.

Bruno Voisin