[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Wed Dec 7 00:25:41 CET 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 5:25 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2005, at 7:51 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:
>

>> XeTeX seems awfully slow. It takes a long time (several seconds)
>> for the typesetting to begin and several more seconds for the
>> typeset page to appear. It seems much slower than version 0.98.
>> (All this is on 10.4.3, a Mac G5 DP).
>
> Hmmm.... that's curious. It doesn't take that long on my G4
> machines! Care to swap? ;-)

Hmm... perhaps not... ;>}

> I can understand a somewhat slower startup, perhaps, if you have
> very large numbers of fonts installed; how many does Font Book
> report? Still, I wouldn't have thought it should be that bad.

I am now working on my computer at home and everything is fine and
working as expected. I have recently been required to install Norton
AntiVirus at work. It seems to slow just about everything down -- I
will run a few tests tomorrow to see if, as I suspect, this is the
culprit.

Thanks for the update.

SGM