[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 20:51:19 CET 2005

>* true glyph height and depth information available for native fonts,
>when using \XeTeXglyph; this means you can get character ht/dp as
>well, by mapping the character code to a glyph ID and then measuring
>this: \hbox{\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXcharglyph`g} will be a box with the
>correct height and depth of "g" in the current native font

A couple of questions. What is a 'native font'? I am presuming that it is an AAT font. If I say

\font\test="Hoefler Text" at 12pt \test

then your example works; if I use the default CM then I get this series of errors:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99 (Web2C 7.5.3)
entering extended mode
(./newxetest.tex
! Invalid use of \XeTeXglyph.
l.5  \setbox0=\hbox{\XeTeXglyph
                               \XeTeXcharglyph`g }
? ! You can't use `\XeTeXcharglyph' in restricted horizontal mode.
l.5  \setbox0=\hbox{\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXcharglyph
                                              `g }
?

I don't have any OpenType here to experiment with, but will this work with OpenType?

XeTeX seems awfully slow. It takes a long time (several seconds) for the typesetting to begin and several more seconds for the typeset page to appear. It seems much slower than version 0.98. (All this is on 10.4.3, a Mac G5 DP).

Thanks!

SGM