[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 2 13:00:16 CEST 2005

On 2 Apr 2005, at 7:58 am, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 1 avr. 05, à 20:51, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Using \global\lccode... made things work in my experiments with
>> sanhyph.tex just now; the LaTeX2e experts may know better ways to
>> arrange things.
>
> With the fix you suggest there are no "blank glyphs" anymore in the
> output. But if I write \language=\sanskrit I get a "TeX capacity
> exceeded" message. I'm not sure what settings in texmf.cnf are to be
> modified (they seem to be close to the llimit of 8,000,000).

I was able to process the example file you sent, with the Sanskrit
hyphenation active. Which specific "capacity exceeded" do you get? That
often indicates some other type of error, leading to an infinite
loop/recursion.

> To include the hyphenation file, the best would probably be to ask
> Johannes Braams to add Sanskrit to Babel. Perhaps it wouldn't be a too
> long work since he would only have to define the language. If I send
> him a beautiful postcard of Toulouse he might accept.

Babel deals with more than just hyphenation patterns, I think; it
involves providing translations of various LaTeX texts such as
"Chapter", "Figure", etc. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the
whole LaTeX/Babel/languages setup to know the proper way to switch
hyphenation languages without changing the overall Babel language, but
I would expect there's a way. Any of the LaTeX experts out there care
to help, here?