[XeTeX] Arabic

Musa Furber musaf at runbox.com
Thu Sep 23 18:14:49 CEST 2004

On 23 Sep 2004, at 17:38, Abdassamad Clarke wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Would add to the below, would also appreciate any pointers on
> transliteration of Arabic within TeX, and suitable fonts.

If the font already has the required transliteration glyphs and is
Unicode, then you simply type it in to your editor. Otherwise, for
transliterating Arabic into Latin:

\d{x} -- is used for putting the dot under the d, s, t, z
\={x} -- is used for putting the bar over long vowels

In TeX/LaTeX this works well with the fonts I have tried. In XeTeX, you
are probably going to want to redefine \d{x} so the dot is placed
exactly where you want.

The disadvantage of this second method is that it will break searching
in PDF files.

>> As someone new to the list and to TeX in general, but in need of good
>> tools for mixed Arabic and English typesetting, can anyone help me by
>> pointing me to general instructions to how to use Arabic in this
>> setting, as well as Arabic and English?

Done off list.

Regards,
Musa