[XeTeX] xelatex does not find pdf graphics ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Sep 22 08:29:40 CEST 2004

Le 22 sept. 04, à 07:16, Will Robertson a écrit :

> Bruno Voisin wrote [regarding implicitly passing the xetex option to
> graphics]:
>
>> Is it possible (technically or time-wise) that this functionality be
>> added to some future release of the graphics package for XeTeX?
>
> I think the XeTeX community should align itself as closely as possible
> to the TeX community at large so that when the graphics package is
> updated, this would go without saying. I guess the appropriate action
> to take would be to add a bug report at latex-project.org to get it on
> their radar and post something along the same lines on comp.text.tex.
>
> Is there anything extra that needs to be incorporated into the
> graphics package to ensure xetex functionality on par with, say,
> pdftex?

As usual, I had spoken too rapidly. Looking more closely, it seems all
the work is done in teTeX's default configuration file
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg, which
contains code like:

% Select an appropriate default driver
\begingroup
   \chardef\x=0 %
   % check pdfTeX
   \@ifundefined{pdfoutput}{}{%
     \ifcase\pdfoutput
     \else
       \chardef\x=1 %
     \fi
   }%
   % check VTeX
   \@ifundefined{OpMode}{}{%
     \chardef\x=2 %
   }%
\expandafter\endgroup
\ifcase\x
   % default case
   \ExecuteOptions{dvips}%
\or
   % pdfTeX is running in pdf mode
   \ExecuteOptions{pdftex}%
\else
   % VTeX is running
   \ExecuteOptions{vtex}%
\fi

So what could be done in this case would be to add code for automatic
recognition of XeTeX, and have this modified graphics.cfg be inserted
in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/xetex/ at the time XeTeX is
installed.

Bruno