[XeTeX] xelatex does not find pdf graphics ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Sep 21 23:58:26 CEST 2004

On 21 Sep 2004, at 9:17 pm, Michael Gedalin wrote:

> I tried to include a pdf graphics using
> \usepackage[xetex]{graphicx}
> \includegraphics{filename.pdf}
>
> The file resided in the same directory where all my style files are.
> Usual latex/pdftex found the file without problem. xetex found it only
> when I copied the file to the same directory where the tex file was.
> Is this a bug or something is wrong in my installation ?

Probably neither; it's behaving as designed. But perhaps the behavior
should be changed.....

XeTeX doesn't use search paths to look for graphics files; it simply
looks for the name as given, relative to the current directory. So
unless the graphicx package has some way of prefixing other paths to
the name, it wouldn't be found.

 From your report, I'm guessing that pdfTeX uses a kpathsearch function
to locate graphics files, similarly to how .tex input files, .sty
files, etc., are located. I should probably consider adding similar
path-searching to the \XeTeXpicfile and \XeTeXpdffile commands. How do
others feel about this....any comments?

Jonathan