[XeTeX] Interaction between utf8accents.sty and babel's german.ldf

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 21 23:38:59 CEST 2004

Hi Bruno,

On 22/09/2004, at 12:28 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just noticed a bad interaction of utf8accents.sty with the input
> method for the German language in the babel package. This is possibly
> normal, I'm just reporting it in case Ross thinks that utf8accents.sty
> should deal with this case as well.

> The space between "Abriß" and "einer" has been suppressed.

Did you get my fixes of the "space-gobbling" problem,
posted a week ago ? Here it is again:

>> This is done by altering just 5 lines in the  utf8accents.sty  (v0.3)
>> file that I posted yesterday:
>>
>> 112:
>> \expandafter\def\csname\UTFencname\string#8\endcsname{\char"#1#2#3#4\r
>> elax}%
>> 143:
>> \expandafter\def\csname\tmp at name\endcsname{\char"#1#2#3#4\relax}%
>> 160:  \def\UTFchar{\char"#1#2#3#4\relax}%
>> 165:\gdef\add at UTF@accent#1#2#3{#2\char"#1\relax}
>> 166:\gdef\add at UTF@accents#1#2#3{#2\char"#1\char"#3\relax}
>>
>> Note how these all now finish in   \relax} .
>>
>> Also, the line-numbers here are for v0.4.
>> With the v0.3 file, they will be ~3 less, due to extra history
>> comments.
>>

>> The v0.3 file also has the date wrong on line 2; it should be
>> 2004/09/10 .

> Having invoked the babel package as:
>
> 	\usepackage[german,french,british]{babel}
>
> and then used the command \foreignlanguage in the form (here \bibitem
> has a slightly modified syntax according to a journal class jfm.cls,
> but that should be immaterial to the matter):
>
> 	\bibitem[Mellin (1910)]{Mel10}
> 	  \textsc{Mellin, R.~Hj.} 1910
> 	  \foreignlanguage{german}{Abri"s einer einheitlichen Theorie der
> Gamma- und der
> 	  hypergeometrischen Funktionen}.
> 	  \textit{Math. Ann.} \textbf{68}, 305–337.

Would you post a short file that gives the preamble that you are using,
a little bit of text and a bibliography with this entry.

Also, please use  \listfiles  before the \begin{document}
and include the .log  so I can see what versions of packages
you are using.

> Another possibility is to redefine babel's internals with:
>
> 	\makeatletter
> 	  \declare at shorthand{german}{"s}{\textormath{\ss{}}{\@SS{}}}
> 	\makeatother
>
> Is this a better fix, still allowing hyphenation, or would it be
> better to alter utf8accents.sty instead, and how?

I'll need to work with an example to comment on this.

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114