[XeTeX] Typographic consistency

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 16 09:35:04 CEST 2004

Ross Moore wrote:

> > On 16/09/2004, at 9:01 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> The version I have offers both regular and oldstyle, with the feature
>> named "Number Case". The setting name for non-oldstyle varies
>> depending on the specific face--Regular requires "Number Case=Upper
>> Case Numbers", while Italic wants "Number Case=Uppercase Numbers"!
>
> Aaah! and   Hoefler Text Black  is different again!
> It uses:   "Numbercase=Lowercase Numbers"  or  "Numbercase=Dipthong
> Ligatures"
>                   ^--- no space
>
> Grrrr.

Hi Ross,

To the risk of upsetting you even more, here's what seems to correspond
to non-oldstyle numbers in all four Hoefler Text faces:

- Hoefler Text: Number Case=Upper Case Numbers

- Hoefler Text Italic: Number Case=Uppercase Numbers

- Hoefler Text Black: Number Case=Diphthong Ligatures

- Hoefler Text Black Italic: Number Case=Normal Vertical Position

and for old-style numbers:

- Hoefler Text: Number Case=Lower Case Numbers

- Hoefler Text Italic: Number Case=Lowercase Numbers

- Hoefler Text Black: Number Case=Lowercase Numbers

- Hoefler Text Black Italic: Number Case=Lowercase Numbers

Who in a non-hallucinogenic state of mind would introduce such a devious
scheme remains to be elucidated!

At least the feature brings the name "Number Case" in all four faces,
which is not the case of "Character Alternates" for Hoefler Text and
"Character Alternatives" for the other faces.

Bruno