[XeTeX] Typographic consistency (was: CJK and ideographic font names)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 16 01:12:13 CEST 2004

Le 16 sept. 04, à 01:01, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 15 Sep 2004, at 11:32 pm, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> In fact "Hoefler Text" seems to have *only* oldstyle numerals,
>
> The version I have offers both regular and oldstyle, with the feature
> named "Number Case". The setting name for non-oldstyle varies
> depending on the specific face--Regular requires "Number Case=Upper
> Case Numbers", while Italic wants "Number Case=Uppercase Numbers"!

There seems to be even one more parameter affecting the appearance of
numbers: proportional (for running text) or monospaced (for tables).
And, in that case, the setting name is apparently the same for all
faces: "Number Spacing=Proportional Numbers" or "Number
Spacing=Monospaced Numbers" (as seen from the Typography panel in
TextEdit).

I heard about these possibilities through the account of Hoefler Text
in the paper <http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb21-2/tb67tole.pdf>
(brought to this list's attention by Musa Furber), focused on use of
Hoefler with Omega but otherwise full of information regarding this
font.

Bruno