[XeTeX] Use of Apple Symbols font in XeLaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Sep 15 23:16:35 CEST 2004

On 15 Sep 2004, at 5:35 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> BTW, there seems to be two more pitfalls here:
>
> - LaTeX refuses "253c and insists on "253C
>
> - replacing \char"253C by ^^^^253C produces an error:
>
> 	! Text line contains an invalid character.
> 	l.109 ...Command{\applehighplus}    {\applesym{^^^
> 	                                                  ^253C}}

I'm not going to try and understand LaTeX's \DeclareMathSymbol just
now, but with regard to these particular points: yes, it's confusing,
but that's how the TeX scanning routines are defined. There are two
quite distinct things here: the "<hex> notation for numbers (an
alternative to decimal or octal constants) requires uppercase A-F, but
the ^^^^<hex> notation for characters (an extension of TeX's ^^<hex>
notation) uses lowercase a-f. Sorry, I know it's easy to stumble over
this.