[XeTeX] Typographic consistency (was: CJK and ideographic font names)

Paolo Matteucci p.matteucci at soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 20:19:08 CEST 2004

Il giorno 14/set/04, alle 00:26, Ross Moore ha scritto:

> [...]
>
>> Just some minor detail: I'm unable to typeset the modified
>> "canton.tex" properly. TeX complains about TS1/hoefl/m/n' being
>> undefined: do I need some extra packages for that or just the latest
>> version of your utf8accents.sty?
>
> Hmm; how did you get TS1 encoding there?
> That comes from  textcomp.sty , for the special companion characters.
> (Actually, you don't need that package anymore, as most of these
> characters are defined for Unicode within  utf8accents.sty .)
>
> Here's how I overcame a similar problem with  OML/hoefl/m/n
> that was related to the oldstyle numerals, I think:
>
> \DeclareFontShape{OML}{hoefl}{m}{n}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
>
> You should be able to do the same for TS1:
>
> \DeclareFontShape{TS1}{hoefl}{m}{n}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}

Actually, the latter doesn't seem to work, but the former does.

On commenting out the line

	\usepackage{textcomp}

and adding

\DeclareFontShape{OML}{hoefl}{bx}{it}%
    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black"}{}

I was finally able to reproduce your output without errors.

I just don't like the fact that, in order to obtain *upright* old style
numerals, you have to redefine {OML}...{it} to the corresponding
non-italic version... and what if I need to use both [bold] upright and
[bold] italic old digits?

Thank you very much for help -and thank you, Bruno, for your tips on
rich fonts.

	Paolo