[XeTeX] Brioso Pro and ligature strangeness

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Sep 14 13:19:11 CEST 2004

On 13 Sep 2004, at 11:50 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I have made the discovery that when I am using XeTeX, that I am
> getting Brioso Pro OT "dlig" characters all the time. I have this in
> the document:
>
> \font\rm="Brioso Pro" at 14pt \rm
>
> I get ligatures such as ct and sp. I have tried "Brioso Pro:-dlig" and
> c{}t -- all to no avail.

It seems that the "sp", at least, is part of the "clig" (not "dlig")
feature in Brioso Pro; I'm not seeing a "ct" occurring in the version I
have.

You're right that ligatures will still form across something like
"s{}p"; actually, I believe that could happen with regular TeX (.tfm)
ligatures, too, when the word gets reconstituted after attempted
hyphenation. (See The TeXbook, page 306.) You can say "s{\kern0pt}p" to
make sure it doesn't happen, or turn off the "clig" feature!

Another way to prevent the ligature *ought* to be by inserting
^^^^200c, the Unicode Zero-Width Non-Joiner, but it seems that Brioso
Pro doesn't support this character. :-(

HTH,