[XeTeX] Typographic consistency (was: CJK and ideographic font names)

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 16:05:04 CEST 2004

Hi Jonathan,

On 13/09/2004, at 8:46 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> There are a few small defects:
>>
>>   1.  Doulos SIL  has no slanted or italic face,
>>       so your use of \textsl  has no effect.
>
> Yes, there's only a single face (no bold, either). A typeface with the
> same character inventory and OpenType support, but including bold and
> italic faces, should be forthcoming eventually.

OK; that'll be nice.

>>   2.  Your source needed to be adjusted to replace gobbled spaces:
>>       e.g.         \textipa{N\^O Oi lêi}
>>       must become  \textipa{N\^O\ Oi lêi}
>>
>>   3.  the \oldstylenums  still uses CM fonts.
>>       I used Hoefler Text  in this example; what font is better ?
>>

>> Jonathan, the gobbled-spaces are due to making letters have
>> an active \catcode , I think.
>
> That's a bit odd. Merely making them active shouldn't cause
> space-gobbling; I wonder if we can fix this by adjusting what the
> active letters expand to.

Yep; you're right.
I've already found a solution.

The gobbling seems to be ultimately due to \char .
All (well mostly) the macros in  utf8accents.sty  expand
to give  \char"xxxx .
When the next token is a space, this gets gobbled.

So I've appended an extra \relax  in some cases.
Now the space is preserved and results in the correct
word-separating space.

>> This is a good example of where a font re-mapping would be helpful.
>
> Not forgotten! :-)

Cheers!

>> Paolo, if you have trouble setting-up the fonts, I'll send you
>> my modified version of your  canton.tex  example.
>
> Could you send a copy to me, please? I'm curious to see if I can tell
> what's gobbling those spaces, and it'll be quicker for me if I don't
> have to figure out all the setup stuff!

Here it is --- even though the specific problem is solved  (in
utfaccents.sty v0.4 ).