[XeTeX] Being Doulos SIL's slave

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Sep 11 00:53:50 CEST 2004

On 10 Sep 2004, at 6:31 pm, Robert Voogdgeert wrote:

> To any Texnician or Graecus,
>
> How is Doulos SIL to be used. All I'm getting is a few scattered
> characters on my screen!
> Possibly I'm using a wrong name. I don't get "font not loadable",
> though  "Doulos SIL"  doesn't work, i.e. only a few characters are
> left.

What kind of text are you trying to typeset in Doulos SIL? Your "To"
line suggests that perhaps you're doing Greek....Doulos doesn't support
Greek, sorry. It's an extended-Latin, Cyrillic, IPA, etc. font. (The
full character inventory should be listed in the documentation, I
think.)

If I'm guessing right and you're interested in (Unicode) Greek, you
could try the Galatia SIL font from <http://scripts.sil.org/SILGrkUni>,
or other Greek fonts that are out there. (Even Lucida Grande should
have the Greek characters, I believe.)

Doulos SIL's chief benefit is its very broad extended-Latin/phonetic
repertoire, along with support for combining marks; that's hard to find
elsewhere.

If you're trying to use Doulos SIL for Latin-script text and it's not
working, that would be another story; if so, please give a bit more
information and we'll try to figure out what's wrong.

Jonathan