[XeTeX] Maths in XeLaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Sep 9 10:44:10 CEST 2004

On 9 Sep 2004, at 1:27 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 8 sept. 04, à 19:21, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Just one comment that comes to mind looking at your sample output: if
>> using Hoefler Italic in this way, you might want to consider
>> disabling the "smart swash" features, as many of the line-final swash
>> forms may look odd in the midst of a formula.
>
> It took me some time to figure out how to disable smart swashes, but
> finally I dug out a post by Casper Lassenius who gave the trick:
>
> 	Smart Swashes=!Line Final Swashes,!Line Initial Swashes
>
> Having started to experiment with AAT features, I went further but
> soon came out with the impression that either Hoefler Text, or AAT, is
> somehow bugged: spending some time with AAT-info.tex from XeTeX
> Samples, and with TextEdit which can now display (in the Show Fonts
> window) typographical features, it appears that the names and
> classification of features from one "instance" of a font to the other
> are all but random.

Yes, they're not very consistent, unfortunately. Which means there's no
substitute for actually checking the feature names supported by the
particular font you're using.

> Some examples for Hoefler Text:
>
> - Uppercase numbers are specified with:
>
> 	Hoefler Text:              Number Case=Upper Case Numbers
> 	Hoefler Text Italic:       Number Case=Uppercase Numbers

That's a silly inconsistency between the fonts, and obviously it's a
great nuisance.

> 	Hoefler Text Black:        Number Case=Diphthong Ligatures
> 	Hoefler Text Black Italic: Number Case=Normal Vertical Position

That's just ridiculous!

> - Character alternates (or swash caps, for italics) are specified with:
>
> 	Hoefler Text:              Character Alternates  =Alternates
> 	Hoefler Text Italic:       Character Alternatives=Normal Vertical
> Position
> 	Hoefler Text Black:        Character Alternatives=Alternates
> 	Hoefler Text Black Italic: Character Alternatives=Lower Case Numbers

What a mess.

> In particular, the instruction "Character Alternatives=Swash Caps"
> from FontSamples.tex, for Hoefler Text Italic, does not seem to work.

You're right. There was such a feature in an earlier version of the
font, shipped with Mac OS 8 or 9, but it seems to have been removed.
(The FontSamples file is descended from an old TeXGX one; obviously, I
need to review what it contains.)

> Jonathan, please feel free to report a bug to Apple if you think that
> is indeed one.

I'll file a bug on the general topic of feature naming consistency,
with your Hoefler examples (but the problem is broader than just
Hoefler).

Jonathan