[XeTeX] Maths in XeLaTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 9 02:27:26 CEST 2004

Le 8 sept. 04, à 19:21, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> Just one comment that comes to mind looking at your sample output: if
> using Hoefler Italic in this way, you might want to consider disabling
> the "smart swash" features, as many of the line-final swash forms may
> look odd in the midst of a formula.

It took me some time to figure out how to disable smart swashes, but
finally I dug out a post by Casper Lassenius who gave the trick:

	Smart Swashes=!Line Final Swashes,!Line Initial Swashes

Having started to experiment with AAT features, I went further but soon
came out with the impression that either Hoefler Text, or AAT, is
somehow bugged: spending some time with AAT-info.tex from XeTeX
Samples, and with TextEdit which can now display (in the Show Fonts
window) typographical features, it appears that the names and
classification of features from one "instance" of a font to the other
are all but random.

Some examples for Hoefler Text:

- Uppercase numbers are specified with:

	Hoefler Text:              Number Case=Upper Case Numbers
	Hoefler Text Italic:       Number Case=Uppercase Numbers
	Hoefler Text Black:        Number Case=Diphthong Ligatures
	Hoefler Text Black Italic: Number Case=Normal Vertical Position

- Character alternates (or swash caps, for italics) are specified with:

	Hoefler Text:              Character Alternates  =Alternates
	Hoefler Text Italic:       Character Alternatives=Normal Vertical
Position
	Hoefler Text Black:        Character Alternatives=Alternates
	Hoefler Text Black Italic: Character Alternatives=Lower Case Numbers

In particular, the instruction "Character Alternatives=Swash Caps" from
FontSamples.tex, for Hoefler Text Italic, does not seem to work.

Jonathan, please feel free to report a bug to Apple if you think that
is indeed one.

Bruno