[XeTeX] Size of JPEG graphics

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 15:25:10 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have just been faced with a strange behaviour of XeTeX compared with
pdfTeX, and it took some time to reduce the observed behaviour to a
simple fact: for a JPEG file that I created using Adobe Illustrator
(opening an EPS file in Illustrator, modifying it, and saving the
result as a JPEG file), and included in a TeX file, the size of the
JPEG image in the PDF output is different depending on whether pdfTeX
or XeTeX is used. (By size here I mean the size in centimeters (or
inches!) on the page, not the size of the file.)

This happens with either LaTeX, including the file, called
perspdip.jpg, with:

	\includegraphics{perspdip.jpg}

and appropriate \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx} or
\usepackage[xetex]{graphicx}, or with plain TeX, including the file for
pdfTeX with:

	\pdfximage{perspdip.jpg}\pdfrefximage\pdflastximage

and for XeTeX with

	\XeTeXpicfile "perspdip.jpg"

On second thought it's not so surprising, given (I think) pdfTeX gets
its information on the JPEG image directly from the JPEG file whereas
XeTeX relies on the information returned, about this file, by
QuickTime, but is this a known fact and is there something that can be
done about it?

This behaviour is not specific to the current (0.84) version of XeTeX,
I had experienced it before though at the time I did not know what
exactly was going wrong.

Bruno Voisin