[XeTeX] Typeblock moved?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Sep 6 22:55:22 CEST 2004

Le 6 sept. 04, à 22:42, Robert Voogdgeert a écrit :

> Did any of you experience the effect of a type-block that is not on
> the place where it should be when typesetting with XeLaTeX. I compiled
> a file in the memoir class with twoside as option. The type-block
> seems to have drifted off. This can be clearly seen, e.g. on the title
> page the title is centred but has moved to the left; the even page
> numbers, though they should have a bigger left margin than the uneven,
> have very small left margins and quite big right margins. Also, the
> only crop-mark left completely on the page is the bottom right one, of
> the upper right one only part of the vertical line is left, while of
> the bottom left one only the part of the horizontal line is left, the
> upper left one finally is completely gone. Thus it seems that the
> whole type-block moved to the upper-left for a reason I don't
> understand. Specifically as the file compiled well in LaTeX.

Just a possibility (I've never used memoir myself): could it be that
memoir is specially tailored for pdfTeX, and works differently in other
"TeX"s (or that some default options need be changed)? I remember
having experienced such things as you report, when first compiling a
document with pdfteX, because such pdfTeX-specific commands as
\pdfpageheight etc. had not been set to coincide with the equivalent
\hsize etc. from standard TeX. Could just the opposite be happening for
you? Were you using pdfTeX on this document before XeTeX, and, if you
use TeX + dvips + ps2pdf instead, do you experience the same behaviour
as with XeTeX?

Bruno Voisin