[XeTeX] MathTime fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Sep 4 20:34:50 CEST 2004

On 4 Sep 2004, at 6:07 pm, Paul Edney wrote:

> First things first: the configuration I'm using, in the order it was
> (fresh-)installed.
>   teTex 2.0.2-36, installed by fink
>   TeX, from Gerben Wierda's TUG mirror, installer by i-installed
>   TeX Support: Super-CM, from Gerben Wierda's TUG mirror, installed by
> i-installer
>   XeTeX 0.85, from Jonathan Kew's i-directory, installed by i-installer
>   TeXshop 1.35b

Sounds like you have two complete TeX installations there; Fink's and
Gerben's. I'd be a little worried about possible confusion, but the
terminal output you show later looks as though you're actually running
Gerben's setup, and the Fink stuff is ignored.

> Now for XeTeX: I got everything running (i.e., finds and load system
> fonts just fine, works like a charm with euler), except for MathTime
> and CM.  I get the same blank screen with a few lines and +, -, (, and
> ) symbols.  I read the XeTeX FAQ about CM, generated .otf files from
> the .pfb,

How did you generate .otf files from the .pfb ones? Creating .otf files
that will work right with XeTeX can be a bit of a hassle, and I haven't
gotten everything documented nicely yet. (Sorry!)

Did you do this for the CM fonts (if so, why? the XeTeX installer
should have provided them), or only for the MathTime ones?

> checked the texmf.cnf file for
> OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf//
>
> (It actually reads
> OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf/{xetex,}//
> but I doubt that is the problem.)

That's fine; I should update the FAQ.

> Then I ran
> xetex -no-pdf testfile.tex
[snip]
> Output written on testfile.xdv (1 page, 2144 bytes).
> Transcript written on testfile.log.
>
> No font errors here,

Looks fine; so it found the right .tfm files, just like regular
LaTeX....

> so I carried on with
> xdv2pdf -v myfile.xdv
>
> and get
> [1
> {fontmap:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map}
> {activated:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/otf/xetex/bluesky/mathtime/
> mtsy.otf}
> {activated:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/otf/xetex/bluesky/mathtime/
> mtex.otf} ]

So it's finding the .otf files you installed...

> Activated, but I still get a blank output (aside from the few lines).

...but not finding the actual glyphs you want.

Could you check your psfonts.map file and tell me what the actual
entries for these fonts look like? I don't have the Mathtime fonts and
so I'm not in a position to try and duplicate your exact setup.

> What really puzzles me is that in TeXshop, LaTeX handles mathtime like
> a charm, whereas XeTeX doesn't.  Don't they read from the same
> texmf.local tree?

They do, and they're both handling things fine at the typesetting
stage, I think (using the .TFM files); but when it comes to actually
rendering glyphs, they're relying on quite different versions of the
fonts.

> I must be missing the obvious here. Can anyone please help, or provide
> a reference to RTFM?

There is no Fine Manual for XeTeX, I'm afraid; just the web pages, the
XeTeX-notes file (included among the sample files), and the archives of
this mailing list. Some day, perhaps, that'll change.....

Jonathan