[XeTeX] MathTime fonts

Paul Edney edney at northwestern.edu
Sat Sep 4 19:07:11 CEST 2004

Hello everyone,

As many before me, I am moving from Textures to TeXshop.  I had a few
documents that required Textures' system font loading ability, so
XeTeX is a godsend.

First things first: the configuration I'm using, in the order it was
(fresh-)installed.
   teTex 2.0.2-36, installed by fink
   TeX, from Gerben Wierda's TUG mirror, installer by i-installed
   TeX Support: Super-CM, from Gerben Wierda's TUG mirror, installed
by i-installer
   XeTeX 0.85, from Jonathan Kew's i-directory, installed by i-installer
   TeXshop 1.35b

The only changes were those described in the next paragraph, as well
as adding a mathtime directory inside the otf/bluesky directory. I
then added the mathtime pfb fonts that were converted to otf to that
directory.  A copy of the pfb fonts is still in their original
location.

I got Mathtime working under LaTeX with TeXshop 1.35b after following
the excellent instructions posted at
http://w3.msi.vxu.se/~pku/MacOSX_TeX/2002b/msg00637.html
by Bruno, Dave, and Themis.  Thanks, guys, you saved me a major headache!

Now for XeTeX: I got everything running (i.e., finds and load system
fonts just fine, works like a charm with euler), except for MathTime
and CM.  I get the same blank screen with a few lines and +, -, (,
and ) symbols.  I read the XeTeX FAQ about CM, generated .otf files
from the .pfb, checked the texmf.cnf file for
OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf//

(It actually reads
OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf/{xetex,}//
but I doubt that is the problem.)

Then I ran
xetex -no-pdf testfile.tex

and got

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.85 (Web2C 7.5.2)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./testfile.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, british, french, german, n
german, spanish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty
For additional information on amsmath, use the `?' option.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amstext.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsgen.sty))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsbsy.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsopn.sty))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/mathtime/mathtime.sty)
(./testfile.aux)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/mathtime/my1mtt.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/mathtime/my2mtt.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/mathtime/my3mtt.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/ts1cmr.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1ptm.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd) [1]
(./testfile.aux) )
Output written on testfile.xdv (1 page, 2144 bytes).
Transcript written on testfile.log.

No font errors here, so I carried on with
xdv2pdf -v myfile.xdv

and get
[1
{fontmap:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map}
{activated:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/otf/xetex/bluesky/mathtime/mtsy.otf}

{activated:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/otf/xetex/bluesky/mathtime/mtex.otf}
]

Activated, but I still get a blank output (aside from the few lines).
Actually, even the regular times font doesn't show up.

I also tried the -d -1 options for xdv2pdf, but I am clueless as to
how to interpret this.  There are a lot of 'NIL', though...

What really puzzles me is that in TeXshop, LaTeX handles mathtime
like a charm, whereas XeTeX doesn't.  Don't they read from the same
texmf.local tree?

I must be missing the obvious here. Can anyone please help, or
provide a reference to RTFM?

Thanks!

--Paul