[XeTeX] fontspec v1.3

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Oct 26 04:04:15 CEST 2004

Hey all

I've got a new version of fontspec ready. Get it from
<http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/tex/>
I'll put it on CTAN if no problems are reported.

So what's new?
First: until this font encoding stuff is standardised, it won't require
any extra support files. So all you need is the fontspec.sty file.

Secondly, and importantly, some stuff has been changed that BREAKS
backward compatibility. The [tex-mapping] package options is no longer
supported (see why later). Secondly, the method of accessing Number
features has changed. Instead of
    [NumberCase=Lining,NumberSpacing=Monospaced]
etc., you now do
    [Numbers={Lining, Monospaced}]
I think this makes more sense.

Third: OpenType fonts are now supported. (Not as well as with Jon's
Adobe Type Classics package though). You can access features in the
same way as for AAT fonts (if they exist).

Fourth: A command to set default options that will be called whenever a
new font is requested. For example, if you want all of your fonts to
have the "tex-text" mapping and OldStyle numbers, you can say:
    \setdefaultoptions{Mapping=tex-text, Numbers=OldStyle}
All fonts defined from then on will have these characteristics.

Fifth: Support for colour, mapping and scale, e.g.:
    [Scale=1.1, Colour=0000CC, Mapping=tex-text]
You can say Color instead of Colour if you're American.

Sixth: Support for adding your own arbitrary named features. See the
docs for details.

I hope there aren't any problems, but knowing me there will be.
Let me know how you go!

Best of luck,
Will Robertson