[XeTeX] numbering of chapters and sections...

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Oct 25 10:24:11 CEST 2004

On 25 Oct 2004, at 5:40 am, Dalyoung wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Recently, I got a strange result when I used Korean fonts in XeTeX.
> There is no chapter numbers and section numbers at all while they are
> appeared well if I used english fonts.
> I assume that an automatic numbering system is not working in korean
> fonts.
> Envirionments are same except the font definitions.
> Since there is no post on this matter so far, it may be the problem
> only in korean.
> However, I wonder whether it is the same situation when it used the
> language other than english.

Do numbers appear if you use them directly in your text with these
fonts? What (Unicode) character codes are used for numbers in
Korean--the same as English (U+0030..0039), or a different set?

The LaTeX commands that generate numbers will be producing the
character codes of the Latin digits 0-9; if you're using a non-Roman
font that doesn't support these characters, then they won't appear.
I've used TeX macros to substitute digits of another script when
necessary (e.g., to get page numbering using Indic numerals), but this
won't happen automatically just by changing fonts.

Jonathan