[XeTeX] Re: Odd errors with xelatex -- more info and failures

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Oct 17 08:02:12 CEST 2004

Le 17 oct. 04, à 00:54, Stephen Moye a écrit :

> I have tried to disable hyphenation files, reinstall tex and xetex.
> All to no avail. Here is the complete log from i-installer when I
> install xetex:
>
>> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.88 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)  16
>> OCT 2004 18:00
>> entering extended mode
>>  %&-line parsing enabled.
>> ***xelatex.ini
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/xelatex.ini
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/xplain.tex)
>> (/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
>> Sources/latex.ltx
>> (/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
>> Sources/texsys.cfg)

That's not a good sign: standard LaTeX installs (e.g. gwTeX, on the
Mac) don't have

	/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
Sources/latex.ltx

they have instead

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/latex.ltx

Similarly they don't have

	/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
Sources/texsys.cfg

but

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/config/texsys.cfg

You seem to have a custom LaTeX setup; I get no idea of how it could
cooperate with the two XeTeX installers (Apple Installer-based, or
i-Installer-based). The folder names (i.e. LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
Sources/) seem to indicate that they come from the Textures
distribution, right? Also, why put these LaTeX-related folders inside a
"plain" directory where "plain" normally means plain TeX, not LaTeX.

I'm a little surprised that XeTeX is able to cope with folders with
names containing spaces: I thought the various binaries in gwTeX, being
of Unix origin, didn't like spaces in files and folder names.

In case that is indeed the Textures LaTeX distribution you're using,
I'm not surprised you get a message about your LaTeX source being too
old: the files in the Textures distro are way out of date. From
"/Applications (Mac OS 9)/Textures/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
Sources/latex.ltx":

	\edef\fmtversion{1997/12/01}

Bruno