[XeTeX] Package for font loading

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sat Oct 16 04:26:07 CEST 2004

On 16 Oct 2004, at 1:25 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2004, at 4:33 pm, Jan Eden wrote:
>
>> Hi Will,
>>
>> how does your package relate to osxfonts.sty and its mechanism?
>>
>> \usepackage{osxfonts}
>>
>> \renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
>>
>> \NewOSXFontFamily{hoefler}{Hoefler Text}
>> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefler}
>>

> At first glance, it looks to me like Will has incorporated the ideas
> of osxfonts.sty and taken things on to a higher level.... which is
> just what I hoped people would do, if I provided the basic facilities
> in the engine.

My crude and inelegant code does exactly that :)
This is my first package, and I've a lot to learn - I was a little
ashamed when I saw how nice and neat osxfonts was on the inside.

So basically,
    \typespec{Hoefler Text}
is equivalent to
    \NewOSXFontFamily{hoefler}{Hoefler
Text}\fontfamily{hoefler}\selectfont

typespec offers a superset of osxfonts features, however.

Regards,
Will