[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX Digest, Vol 7, Issue 27

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 13 17:11:21 CEST 2004

On 13 Oct 2004, at 3:54 pm, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 13.10.2004, at 11:36, xetex-request at tug.org wrote:
>
>> So it's finding the wrong xetex.pool file. What does
>>
>> 	kpsewhich xetex.pool
>>
>> report?
>
> /Users/simi/Library/texmf/web2c/xetex.pool

....which is apparently an older version, not the one installed by the
current XeTeX installer. The error message you got ("xetex.pool doesn't
match") indicates that it is finding a stale copy of the pool file.

You can check which pool file it is by entering
	head `kpsewhich xetex.pool`
and looking at the second line; for the current version (0.88), it will
read "03.88".

I suppose it's possible that kpsewhich finds a different .pool from the
one xetex finds; use
	kpsewhich --progname=xetex xetex.pool
to see if this makes any difference.

Assuming your /Users/simi/Library/texmf/web2c/xetex.pool is indeed an
earlier version, try deleting it and then see what xetex (or kpsewhich)
finds. In a normal TeX setup created by i-Installer, I'd expect it to
be at
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool
but if you have a copy in a personal texmf tree, that will take
precedence over this.

> Honestly, I have no clue. Don't know anything about hyphenation files.

Forget the hyphenation idea, that was my guess before I knew that an
old xetex.pool file was causing it to fail before it gets that far.

Jonathan