[XeTeX] Papersizes

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 13 13:39:55 CEST 2004

The -papersize option to xe(la)tex should set the media dimensions for
the generated PDF. If that doesn't work, it's a xetex bug, and should
be reproducible with a minimal "plain" test case.

The default TeX origin, in the absence of \hoffset and \voffset, should
always be one inch from the top and left of the media as defined by
-papersize. Again, it's a clear xetex bug if a simple "plain" test with
modified papersize starts the text somewhere else.

How LaTeX packages (classes, whatever) interact with paper sizes is
beyond my knowledge, but I think it's likely that in order to use
something like b5, you'd need to specify the size *both* to the engine,
with -papersize, and to LaTeX with some kind of class option. (b5?
b5paper? I don't know. What's the difference?)

With pdflatex, there's probably a pdftex primitive that the LaTeX class
can use to set the media size, and that won't work in xetex.
Eventually, perhaps we'll get a pdfmark-based extension into xdv2pdf to
support this.

Hope this helps clarify a bit,

Jonathan