[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX & Unicode vs. standard LaTeX

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Oct 11 01:10:21 CEST 2004

On 11 Oct 2004, at 7:40 AM, Ross Moore wrote:
> With [new-fangled font mapping thing], and Will's new .fd  files,
> and  utf8accents.sty ,
> we should be very close to having full backward compatibility
> with legacy LaTeX documents.

I've found that Mac OS X is actually supplied with very few of the free
PS fonts also distributed with TeX. So backwards compatible isn't
perhaps entirely correct. A good project for someone would be to either
(a) convert the entire PostScript Base 35 set to OpenType and install
in XeTeX with tfm files (a la Computer Modern) or (b) convert them to
OpenType for Mac OS X installation.

The former would be good because it wouldn't clutter up the font menus
in regular apps, and would be a more seamless installation. The latter
would be good coz everyone likes more fonts, don't they? :)

Will