[XeTeX] Dealing with $ (revisit)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 8 22:58:23 CEST 2004

On 8 Oct 2004, at 9:25 pm, christopher ciotti wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I read in the archives a discussion for dealing with the $
> (\textdollar) char but didn't see a resolution.  Has anyone a
> workaround for this?  Are there other symbols that are problematic?
>
> When I tried \renewcommand{\textdollar}{\char"0024} I only end up with
> a .notdef character in its place.  The font (an opentype) has the $
> defined at 0024.  Any advise?  Thanks.

I'm guessing you usually have a number immediately after your use of
\textdollar; that will be interpreted as part of the character number.
So for example, "\textdollar 10" will attempt to typeset character
"002410, which is likely to be missing.

Add \relax at the end of your definition:

	\renewcommand{\textdollar}{\char"0024\relax}

HTH,

Jonathan