[XeTeX] XeTeX and Classical Mongolian

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Fri Oct 8 10:35:33 CEST 2004

Hello.

Le 4 oct. 04, à 11:54, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> Sorry to disappoint you. If there's an AAT-enabled Mongolian font
> available, that would work, as the AAT model puts all the behavior
> into the font tables, requiring no script-specific support in the
> application.

There are a few AAT fonts in Panther (perhaps they come from that
optional "additional Asian fonts" package). But they don't seem to do
what one would expect them to do: select initial, medial and final
shapes according to needs. I tried with this:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{Manchu}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{Manchu}{m}{n}%
   {<-> "STFangsong"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{Manchu}{m}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * Manchu/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{Manchu}{bx}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * Manchu/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{Manchu}{b}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * Manchu/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{Manchu}{bx}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * Manchu/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{Manchu}{b}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * Manchu/m/n}{}

\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\newcommand{\man}[1]{\fontfamily{Manchu}\selectfont#1}

\begin{document}

\special{x:gsave}	% does this mean: remember the current position?
\special{x:rotate -90}

\man{ᠪᡞ ᡤᡡᠨᡞᠴᡞ᠈ }

\special{x:grestore}

\end{document}

All letters have their initial shape. Besides I must have misunderstood
something: letters themselves are rotated (I only wanted the direction
of writing to be rotated).

Best wishes,

Yves