[XeTeX] "Hoefler Text" XeLaTeX interface

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Oct 4 11:43:19 CEST 2004

On 4 Oct 2004, at 10:24 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2004, at 6:45 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Great work. I don't have time to test, unfortunately, but it looks
>> like it will make the font selection experience much simpler than my
>> time-consuming manual font declarations.
>> Or was it some kind of adaptation of fontinst to AAT/OpenType and
>> XeLaTeX?
>
> Ha ha ha! I wish. No, all manual labour very much inspired by your
> many posted examples. Luckily, there are only a few fonts that complex
> (I don't want to think about Zapfino!) so for most fonts it's fairly
> straightforward. There's no point us all writing these awful .fd
> files, so hopefully I can get the ball rolling by doing a fair few of
> them.

For simpler cases, such as Palatino, I'm hoping we can make all this
work disappear. What I have in mind is adding features to XeTeX to make
it possible to discover the names of the style variants of a font
family, so that given the name "Palatino", for example, standard macros
could learn the correct names of the available styles. That's the only
thing that prevents auto-generation of the declarations in your
osxppl.fd file.

To some extent, even "standard" features such as Small Caps could be
auto-detected and supported, using the AAT/OT query primitives that
XeTeX already has. I'll probably have a go at writing such macros
sometime, if nobody else gets there first, but I'd like to get font
family discovery working first.

Full support of rich fonts with unique features will still require
manually-constructed .fd files, I expect, but many of the simpler cases
should become virtually painless.