[XeTeX] XeTeX and Classical Mongolian

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 03:20:28 CEST 2004

Hi Thomas,

On 04/10/2004, at 8:57 AM, Thomas T. Pedersen wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use XeTeX with Classical Mongolian?
>
> Code2000 vers. 1.14 has OpenType support for Classical Mongolian and
> works with BabelPad under Windows XP with Uniscribe 1.471.4063.0.
>
> In XeTeX, if I just define the font as "Code2000:script=mong", the
> output displays the isolated form of the characters.
>
> I've experienced with three available features 'init', 'medi' and
> 'fina', adding e.g. ";+init;+medi;+fina". The output changes but it's
> apparently using either the initial, medial or final forms of the
> characters - and not the right combination of them.

I've tried the 8 possible combinations of these options with your
sample string.
I'm no Mongolian scholar, but I have Code2000 installed;
here are my observations and comments:

  * It appears the  +init  is redundant, making no visual difference
     (so I've omitted that from the attached picture below).
  * The  +medi  adds extra space and a funny "sideways-T"-shaped glyph
    that just "looks wrong" (see picture below).