[XeTeX] Re: Hebrew vowels in XeteX

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at ucsc.edu
Fri Nov 26 06:39:56 CET 2004

I have hesitated a while before posting the following question,
because I'm a novice at LateX and XeteX and don't want to waste
anyone's time.  I have been enjoying
XeteX immensely but experiencing problems with the placement
of vowels in Hebrew when I use fonts other that Lucida Grande, even when
I use the \beginR and \endR tags (not needed with Lucida G.).

I would like to use NewJerusalemU which I have purchased
from Linguist's Software, and use it with XeteX as well as with
Mellel which presently supports open type fonts.
When I try to set the vowels in XeteX, however, they all
come out with a serious displacement to the left of the consonant.
Is there a cure?  I append my test XeteX file and the pdf I got.  Thanks
for any help.
--Gildas Hamel

%&program=xelatex
%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode

\TeXXeTstate=1
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lettrine}

\font\1="Latin Modern-Regular"
\font\2="Vusillus" at 11pt
\font\3="NewJerusalemU"
\frenchspacing

\begin{document}
\1\title{\1\Large A n'importe ce qui valut le blanc souci...}
\author{\1 Gildas}
\date{}
\maketitle

\lettrine{C}{\ eltic peoples} became so strong that at times they
threatened the so-called classical world.
{\3 בְּרֵשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ}.
   They sacked Rome in 390 BC, and again raided Delphi in 279 BC while
some of them settled in Galatia in 278.  {\2Καὶ οἱ σὺν ἐμοὶ πάντες
ἀδελφοὶ ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις τῆς Γαλατίας}.  It was a developed and
sophisticated society that Caesar conquered in the mid-1st century BC.
They were respected as superb warriors and horsemen.  Their conduct in
war and in religious rites was considered savagely awesome.
\end{document}