[XeTeX] Strange Euler Script font behaviour

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Nov 19 16:55:44 CET 2004

On 19 Nov 2004, at 10:03 am, William F. Adams wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2004, at 9:38 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> OK, confession time.... access to characters in TeX legacy fonts
>> using TFMs and non-standard encodings is currently rather fragile.
>> (I'm amazed to have gotten away with it as far as this!)
>
> Well, I guess this makes a good point to ask a question which has been
> burning at me for a while --- perhaps it's time to do an updated
> version of Plain TeX which uses Unicode-encoded OpenType fonts?
>
> Wouldn't that be a better basis for use in xelatex as well?

Yes.

But then you're going to want an extended version of TFM files to
support Unicode character codes, too, and we don't currently have that
in XeTeX. Omega's OFM files would presumably do the job, but I haven't
looked into supporting them. And I think there are issues with
extending mathchar access to use Unicode character codes as well.

Aside from those issues, it's mainly a big, tedious job of updating
*all* the fonts and files that people expect to find, so that all their
legacy documents still produce the expected output.