[XeTeX] \XeTeXpdffile problem solved - slightly OT but interesting

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Nov 18 14:45:27 CET 2004

Stephen Moye wrote:
> I created a small 1.7 inch square graphic in Illustrator, being careful to make the document size 1.7in by 1.7in. I saved the graphic as a PDF out of Illustrator. To make sure everything was OK I opened the graphic in Acrobat to look at it -- there it was nicely centered in a box 1.7 inches on a side.
>
> When I placed the PDF in XeTeX using \centerline{...}, however, it was shifted to the right by about .3in. Odd.
>
> To cut a long story short, after much searching I found that I had neglected to reposition the rulers in Illustrator so that (0in,0in) corresponded to the lower left-hand corner of the graphic -- they were off by about .3in in both directions.
>
> I adjusted the rulers, re-exported the file, and everything worked perfectly and as expected. The PDF as viewed in Acrobat appeared to be unchanged, but behaved differently when placed.

Do you still have the original?

   pdfinfo -box thatfile.pdf

it may be that artbox, mediabox and cropbox (and maybe bleedbox as well) got
mixed up; illustrator versions differ in how they deal with this and it then
depends on what XeTeX looks at 'boundingbox' (pdftex can act upon all of the boxes)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE