[XeTeX] xetex file organization

h h extern pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Nov 4 09:15:35 CET 2004

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> texmf.local/
>     fonts/
>         misc/
>             xetex/
>                 fontmapping/
>                     (TECkit mapping file(s) for xetex font-mapping

       fonts/map/xetex
       fonts/enc/xetex

> mechanism)
>         opentype/
>             xetex/
>                 bitstrea/
>                 bluesky/
>                 hoekwater/
>                 public/
>                     (...etc, as under current fonts/otf)

interesting problem, since i don;t think that this xetex sublevel is present
now, i sthis really xetex specific? if not, just leave the xetex sublevel;
alternatively, if these are special files,

        fonts/xetex/bitstream

more fits tds

>     scripts/
>         xetex/
>             perl/
>                 lib/
>                     (...etc, containing Perl library scripts for
> xdv2pdf_mergemarks)
>
>     tex/
>         generic/
>             hyphen/
>                 (Unicode-compatible versions of hyphenation files;
>                 these are designed to still work with standard TeX as well)
>             xetex/
>                 unicode-letters.tex (the former xplain.tex; more

not sure about this

> descriptive name)
>         xelatex/
>             config/
>                 xelatex.ini
>             graphics/
>                 color.sty
>                 graphics.sty
>                 xetex.def
>         xetex/
>             config/
>                 xetex.ini

this leads to file name clashes, so maybe it's better to cook up something,
unless it are replacements, and the xetex path takes precedence

      xetex-color.sty

>     web2c/
>         xetex.pool
>
> I've included a "xetex" level in several cases here (under fonts/misc,
> fonts/opentype, scripts) to make it easy to distinguish items installed
> with xetex from other files that might be present. Is this a reasonable
> thing to do?

the recent tds/tex live changes kind of got rid of those etex, pdftex etc paths

> Even with this (or any other) file organization, I don't think the Web2C
> 2.5.3 default of
>
>     TEXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/{$progname,generic,}//
>
> in texmf.cnf by itself can be adequate for xelatex, as it needs to find
> files within the main latex tree(s) as well as under the specific
> xelatex program name. So we'll still need to add entries in texmf.cnf.
> I'm thinking something like:
>
>     TEXINPUTS.xetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,generic,}//
>     TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xelatex,latex,generic,}//

ok

> If you have any comments, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm hoping to put
> together an updated package this week, after which I'll be out of the
> office for a while and may not have much chance to work on it until the
> end of the month.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE