[XeTeX] XeTeX release 0.7 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed May 19 20:48:47 CEST 2004

Because tex (using kpathsearch) looks in a number of "known" locations
for input files. Delete the test.aux in the current directory, and see
if pdflatex does the same thing. It does for me. After creating a
"junk" file containing "hello world" at ~/Library/texmf/tex/test.aux, I
get:

jonathan% pdflatex test.ltx
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11b-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
  (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./test.ltx{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, british,
nohyphenation, lo
aded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
(/Users/jonathankew/Library/texmf/tex/test.aux

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.1 h
      ello world
?

So I believe this is not anything specifically related to xetex; it's
just a feature of the path-searching scheme that is widely used in TeX
products. Lesson: be careful about filename choices! (I probably
shouldn't have used something as "generic" as test.ltx.)

JK