[XeTeX] XeTeX version 0.6 available

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon May 10 01:41:07 CEST 2004

On 10/05/2004, at 9:04 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> - In PicFileLSample3.ltx there is an explicit \tenrm after the title
> and before \XeTeXtext. All the following \XeTeXtext are in Lucida
> Grande, while the title is in CM.

Yep; sorry, I forgot about that.

> Putting an explicit \tenrm earlier, just after \begin{document} and
> before \maketitle, doesn't help though, as the title uses different
> font sizes and remains in CM.

Yeah; that's a problem we need to solve --- somehow automatically
generating more font calls
at different sizes.

Anyway, have you put the Textures CM fonts back into the Fonts/ folder ?
When I had the problem I removed all the CMs and the screen fonts,
then put them all back when Jonathan gave me XeTeX 0.51 .
I've had no such problems since.

> - In PicFileLSamplePDF.ltx there is no \tenrm after \begin{document},
> hence everything's in CM. Putting \tenrm after \begin{document} makes
> everything Lucida Grande.

That one was meant for pdfLaTeX, so I could have 2 windows side-by-side
for
comparison. Of course, it should work with either driver.

> Still that doesn't explain why my Blue Sky CM fonts, when used, have
> problems with XeTeX, whereas before they had none. I'm puzzled because
> originally, in the early stages of XeTeX 0.3 or 0.4, off-list
> debugging with Jonathan had exhibited that the presence of these Blue
> Sky CM fonts on my disk explained why I just didn't experience the
> problems everybody else was having. Why is this now just the opposite?

Sure; there are some unanswered questions.

If pulling the CM fonts out, then putting them back works,
then maybe there is some update in the way the OS handles
the fonts. It must do some kind of conversion and caching
--- the disk whirs for some time whenever there is a change
to the system fonts.
Moving them around like this may cause the cache to be
rebuilt using updated methods, and now they'll work
--- at least for me.

Just guessing.  :-)

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114