[XeTeX] Version 0.5 available

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun May 2 02:58:19 CEST 2004

On 01/05/2004, at 7:14 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Here's one that took me by surprise--the enlarged bounding box that
> you get with:
>
> \framebox{\hbox{\includegraphics[angle=30,scale=0.5,angle=
> -30]{xetex.jpg}}}
>
> Apparently after each transformation, a new bounding box is found, and
> becomes the basis for the bounding box calculation after the next
> transformation.

Yes; that's right.

Calculus of bounding-boxes is not something that is taught
in elementary algebra/geometry courses.
(The area of the bounding box can never decrease with
a rotation. Inverses only exist for rotations through
multiples of 90 degrees.)

> That's different from how XeTeX currently works; it simply puts the
> original image through the entire sequence of transformations, and
> then finds the bounding box of the final result.
>
> Another illustration of this behavior: try
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \framebox{\hbox{\includegraphics[scale=0.3,angle=40]{xetex.jpg}}}
>
> \framebox{\hbox{\includegraphics[scale=0.3,angle=20,angle=20]{xetex.jpg
> }}}
>
> \framebox{\hbox{\includegraphics[scale=0.3,angle=10,angle=10,angle=10,a
> ngle=10]{xetex.jpg}}}

The result should get larger and larger, creating wider margins
around the original contents.

> \end{document}
>
> in pdfLaTeX. This bounding box treatment seems counterintuitive to me.
> I suppose you'll want me to try and copy this step-by-step BB
> computation?

My previous message should help understand the way a sequence
of options specifies the sequence of transformations required.

> Jonathan

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114