[XeTeX] Version 0.5 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat May 1 10:35:22 CEST 2004

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your experiments and notes. Don't spend more time trying to
"fix" your xetex.def on top of the current \XeTeXpicfile; better to
help me understand what \includegraphics does, and see if I can make
things easier. (Can you point me to a concise description of how the
\includegraphics options are processed? I haven't touched LaTeX since
about 1989, so this stuff is completely foreign to me!)

Just FYI, here's what \XeTeXpicfile currently does (or at least tries
to do); clearly, it's a different model than \includegraphics.

1) if height and width are specified anywhere in the options, the
graphic is initially scaled to this size, before other transformations

1.a) if height or width is specified more than once, the later value
wins

1.b) if only one of height and width is specified, the other dimension
is scaled in proportion; if both are specified, you get (potentially)
non-proportional scaling

2) after handling explicit height/width to set the initial image size,
other transformations are applied to the graphic in the order specified

I'll see if I can get some understanding of how \includegraphics
resolves conflicting or ambiguous combinations of options, and look
into modifying XeTeX to make it easier to implement the LaTeX stuff on
top.

Jonathan