[XeTeX] Maths and Symbols in Latex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jun 30 09:15:58 CEST 2004

Le 30 juin 04, à 08:52, Atip Asvanund a écrit :

> Suppose that I am using Hoefler, and am using the following declaration
> that I found on the mailing list. How would I get the Maths and
> Symbols to
> show up? Right now equations and symbols do not show up.

What do you mean by showing up? Characters used in math mode are
different from those used in text mode. The declarations below, based
on \DeclareFontShape, influence text only. The declarations appropriate
for math are \DeclareMathAlphabet and \DeclareSymbolFont etc., as
described in
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/base/fntguide.dvi. In the
absence of such declarations, LaTeX's default for maths is used, namely
Computer Modern.

> Additionally,
> bullets do not show up either. What other declarations do I have to
> make?
> IF you can, please provide an example. Thank you.

That's because the bullets in Unicode aren't at the place that TeX
expects to find them. It varies from font to font, just to add fun to
the puzzle. For Optima I've used:

	\renewcommand{\textbullet}{\XeTeXglyph139}

and for Trebuchet MS:

	\renewcommand{\textbullet}{\XeTeXglyph135}

For Hoefler it should be the same as for Trebuchet, given the info
displayed by the Character Palette: